5 questions to ask your eyelid lift surgeon
If you see yourself in a photo or look in the mirror and notice increasingly heavy, droopy upper lids or baggy skin underneath your eyes, you might want to consider an eyelid lift. Women and men from their 40s to their 80s are having this age-defying procedure done in record numbers.
It’s easy to understand why eyelift surgery has become so popular. Results are immediate. Recovery is quick. The procedure causes little or no discomfort. The cost can be quite reasonable. And best of all, you look younger, happier and refreshed afterward.
WATCHOUT: As you would when contemplating any facial rejuvenation procedure, ask questions and discuss your options with one or more surgeons. Here are five questions that Dr. Robert J. Smyth, facial rejuvenation surgeon/specialist in Cincinnati OH, suggests you ask your doctor(s).
Five questions to ask your eyelid lift surgeon.
- How many eyelift surgeries have you done? Experience matters, especially when it’s your face. There is a definite “art” to eyelid surgery in order to maintain the natural look that patients want.
- Have you done both women’s and men’s eyes? It matters that your surgeon treats a woman’s eyes differently than a man’s eyes –- a feminine look versus a masculine look. This skill of the surgeon is essential to attaining optimal results.
- What do you consider to be great results? Discuss with your surgeon his or her philosophy about eyelift surgery and make sure you’re on the same page as to what determines great results. “An outstanding result is that patients still look like themselves, only better, younger, rested and happier,” says Dr. Smyth.
- How do you perform upper and/or lower eyelift surgery? Ask your surgeon where they make the incision line and if they use general or local anesthesia. “Whether an upper or lower eyelid lift or both, the goal is to artfully hide the incision line in the natural folds of the eyelids such that it becomes virtually unnoticeable once fully healed,” says Dr. Smyth. He performs all eyelid lifts with the patient having only local anesthesia along with a slight amount of relaxation medication, thus eliminating for his patients the risks and longer recovery associated with general anesthesia. Patients are kept entirely comfortable throughout the procedure and, in fact, often sleep through it.
- How long before I can resume work and routine activities? Some patients may experience a bit of bruising or swelling post-procedure, but most put on sunglasses and are out and about within 48-72 hours post-procedure. Sutures dissolve on their own post-procedure, so there is no need for the removal of stitches.
Let’s talk. Dr. Robert J. Smyth in Cincinnati OH has performed more than 3,000 minimally-invasive facelifts and thousands of other surgical and non-surgical, anti-aging, facial cosmetic procedures, including upper and lower eyelid surgeries, brow lifts, laser skin resurfacing, chin implants, injectables (dermal fillers) and Botox. For more information or to schedule a one-on-one, complimentary, no-pressure consultation with Dr. Smyth to discuss all of today’s finest solutions for attaining the natural, refreshed and “younger-you” look you deserve, call 513.201.8490.